The Athlete Experience
SI Athletics supports student-athletes in their full experience at the school. In addition to practices and games, SI offers comprehensive training, advising, and media opportunities.
The SI strength and conditioning team is available to consult and guide all students — whether athletes on SI's teams, or not — toward achieving their physical fitness goals.
The Foundations Program provides student-athletes competing at frosh and JV levels with the foundational principles of performance training and wellness. Students learn proper weightlifting techniques, and receive basic strength training, agility, and performance nutrition advice.
In 2021, J.B. Murphy Field began using state-of-the-art field lights. These new additions allow SI to continue outdoor practices through winter afternoons and schedule night competitions for the sports that use J.B. Murphy Field and Jack Wilsey ’34 Track.
The athletic advisor works with the Counseling Department, Athletic Department, and coaches to assist student-athletes with their pursuit of college athletics.
The Role of our college athletics advisor is to:
- Educate our student-athletes and their families on the recruiting process
- Help our student-athletes and their families understand their roles in the recruiting process
- Assist our student-athletes and college counselors in developing a list of colleges that are a good fit both academically and athletically
- Partner with our student-athletes and their families with emails, phone calls, and college visits, if needed
- Partner with student-athletes in building their athletic profile and college outreach through our recruiting platform
- Assist our student-athletes and families in navigating the NCAA, NAIA, and NJCAA website and calendars
- Market St. Ignatius and St. Ignatius Athletics to collegiate athletic departments and admissions offices, when possible
- Highlight student-athlete performance with relevant coaches or program representatives for the purpose of increasing exposure
The recruiting process is different for each student and navigating it requires time and patience. By owning the process, hard work, communication, and timing, collegiate athletics won’t just be a thought: It could be your reality. For questions, clarity, or contact, whether just beginning or well underway, email Steve Bluford ’84 at email@example.com.
Throughout the year, SI hosts Media Days to introduce varsity teams to the community. The school also traditionally holds Signing Days to celebrate those student-athletes who commit to play sports intercollegiately. In addition to promoting athletics on social media, SI shares photography of our teams on our photo page.